The blog team at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) is counting down to the New Year by revisiting our top ten blog posts published in 2014, beginning with number ten. We’d also love to hear from you – what were your favorites? Thank you for your comments, questions, and continued interest in HealthHub. We wish you a healthy and happy New Year.
Certain spinal conditions, such as back pain, are very common. However, treating these conditions can require the expertise and coordination of more than one medical specialty. Often, the first step is conservative, non-operative treatment by physiatrists, pain management physicians, and other specialists. Learn how our surgical and non-surgical spine specialists collaborate on care for patients with spinal disorders.
Based on the work of the Care Improvement Team, led by orthopedic surgeon Dr. John Wright, Brigham and Women’s Hospital uses a standardized approach to total knee replacement that guides how patients should be treated, from the time they arrive at the hospital for a consultation to the care they receive after discharge. This process has improved patient outcomes.
Risk factors for colorectal cancer — which include age, family history of the disease, or having Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis — are similar for men and women. However, lifestyle choices that may impact the risk can differ between men and women. These include obesity, lack of physical activity, low vitamin D, and consuming a high amount of red meat.
Many people are becoming increasingly concerned about eating foods containing gluten. Gluten is responsible for the reaction that damages the lining of the small intestine in celiac disease. It also has been linked to less serious gastrointestinal complaints, such as diarrhea and bloating. Read more about how gluten can affect your health and the benefits of avoiding it.
Dr. Nancy Shadick, a rheumatologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH), and her team have developed entertaining, interactive programs to increase people’s knowledge about Lyme disease, the consequences of the disease, and prevention techniques. Play the game to learn how you can prevent Lyme disease, a tick-borne infection that can cause neurological and joint problems.
Aspirin, used for centuries as a pain reliever, has only recently been recognized as having benefits for the heart. Dr. JoAnn Manson, Chief, BWH Division of Preventive Medicine; Co-Director, Connors Center for Women’s Health and Gender Biology; and Co-investigator, Nurses’ Health Study, Physicians’ Health Study, and Women’s Health Study, describes the discovery that aspirin could prevent first heart attacks.
A person who is knock-kneed has a medical condition resulting in an outward rotation of the tibia on the femur. Bowlegged describes a medical condition characterized by an inward rotation of the tibia, resulting in a leg that looks like it is bowed out. Both conditions can lead to misalignments of the hip or knee, potentially causing injury and knee pain among today’s active adults. Learn how to prevent injury if you suffer from either condition.
Melanoma is only one type of skin cancer. Other forms of the disease, such as squamous cell carcinoma and basal cell carcinoma are less aggressive and more common. All skin cancers can occur anywhere in the body, but melanoma is most common in skin that is often exposed to sunlight. It is important to visit your dermatologist periodically to evaluate areas of concern and diagnose possible skin cancer as soon as possible.
A meningioma is a type of tumor that develops from the meninges, the membrane that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. Most meningiomas (90 percent) are categorized as benign tumors, with the remaining 10 percent being atypical or malignant. In many cases, benign meningiomas grow slowly. Surgery is one option to treat these common brain tumors.
For the most part, colorectal cancer is a curable and preventable disease. Screening and changes in your diet and lifestyle are important steps in reducing your risk of developing colorectal cancer. Learn how often you should be screened and what lifestyle choices you can make to reduce your risk.